Sunday 15 January 2012

One of those "perfectly balanced" days


It's 4pm and I've just settled in from a long, fruitful day.  The bells are ringing outside as today is a very special South Indian holiday called Pongal.

What is Pongal?

Pongal is the only festival of Hindu that follows a solar calendar and is celebrated on the fourteenth of January every year. Pongal has astronomical significance: it marks the beginning of Uttarayana, the Sun's movement northward for a six month period. In Hinduism, Uttarayana is considered auspicious, as opposed to Dakshinaayana, or the southern movement of the sun. All important events are scheduled during this period. Makara Sankranthi refers to the event of the Sun entering the zodiac sign of Makara or Capricorn.


In Hindu temples bells, drums, clarinets and conch shells herald the joyous occasion of Pongal. To symbolize a bountiful harvest, rice is cooked in new pots until they boil over. Some of the rituals performed in the temple include the preparation of rice, the chanting of prayers and the offering of vegetables, sugar cane and spices to the gods. Devotees then consume the offerings to exonerate themselves of past sins. 

Pongal signals the end of the traditional farming season, giving farmers a break from their monotonous routine. Farmers also perform puja to some crops, signaling the end of the traditional farming season. It also sets the pace for a series of festivals to follow in a calendar year. In fact, four festivals are celebrated in Tamil Nadu for four consecutive days in that week. 'Bogi' is celebrated on January 13, 'Pongal' on Jan 14, 'Maattuppongal' on Jan 15, and 'Thiruvalluvar Day'on Jan 16. 



Thus, the harvest festival of Pongal symbolizes the veneration of the first fruit. The crop is harvested only after a certain time of the year, and cutting the crop before that time is strictly prohibited. Even though Pongal was originally a festival for the farming community, today it is celebrated by all. In south India, all three days of Pongal are considered important. However, those south Indians who have settled in the north usually celebrate only the second day. Coinciding with Makara Sankranti and Lohri of the north, it is also called Pongal Sankranti.


My day started at 4am as I woke, as usual, to the sound of the roosters reminding us of their brilliant and dependable internal "alarm clock" ;)   Was on my mat for a 6am led class with Sharath and the room was PACKED... there were about 90 of us!  I ended up practicing down the middle (like at balance on New Year's Eve when we have that special class and so many ppl come that some ppl have to go in the middle where the teacher usually walks back and forth) which was an interesting experience.  Aside from the fact that both the gentleman to my right and to my left were nothing less than rude & stingy regarding "their" space (I guess they haven't learned about Aparigraha yet) , I managed to have a lovely practice; it felt really strong, peaceful, and mindful. The entire time I had to be sure where my feet landed, where my head was- literally, bringing my leg out to the side in Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana was quite an effort (more than usual!) and Garbha Pindasana was a bit comical... but I managed well and it reminded me how practice is no different than life. We're not always going to have the "perfect space" or "pefect set of circumstances/situation" to be in, nor is it always going to be comfortable. We must learn to accept "what is" with santosha (contentment) & be mindful of ourselves and others; considerate and compassionate.  

After practice I walked home and took a rest, then a bucket bath and then had some fruits.  At 11:30am I walked back to the shala for Vedic Chanting class. It is now required when you register at the shala that you also take Vedic Chanting (like Danielle Tarantola offers at Balance Yoga) 3 times per week.  Today was my first chanting class ever at the shala and it happened to be the advanced class, but since I've been chanting with Danielle and the gang back at home now for 5 years now, I figured I'd give it a try.  
I walked in and introduced myself to Lakshmish, the lovely chanting guru, and briefly explained I've been chanting for some time and asked if it would be OK if I stayed. He was warm and gracious and said "of course".   So, we began with the Shanti Mantras (Peace Mantras): Vakra Tunda, SahaNa Vavatu, San No Mitra, Ganapathi Mantra, Asatoma, etc... all of which I knew very well so I closed my eyes and chanted along without the sheet.  After we got thru all of the mantras twice, Lakshmish points to me and says 'Where did you learn to chant?  You are chanting perfectly!"   I replied "in NY with my teacher Danielle Tarantola. (kinda funny giving that hard core Italian name ;)   Lakshmish looked confused.... I said "She studies at KYM and is a very good teacher."  He said.. "I was watching your lips during San No Mitra... can you please chant it for the group?"  OMG... i wanted to die!!  "In front of everyone!? I asked..  "Yes", he said, "Please.. chant for us".  My armpits started sweating profusely & my heart was racing, but, I sat up tall and closed my eyes and began..... Aum...  Afterwards he shook his head in a semi circular motion and smiled with delight.. "Perfect" he said.. "Only 2 small mistakes in your pitch. "
I enjoyed chanting with him very much, particularly his explanation of a long Siva chant we did.  

From there I went to lunch and had a beautiful mix of healthy, prana-filled food cooked by a local Indian woman named Anu.  I met another aspiring yogi from Sag Harbor that Corey from Tapovana had mentioned to me would be here. Cara, one of our Balance students who is also here in Mysore now was there too.  It was lovely. 

From there I took a very long walk over to Kalidasa Rd to find a new, small, organic "market" I stumbled upon in the dark last night walking home from dinner. (This trip I'm walking everywhere, no scooter. It brings a new "pace" to this visit)  When I finally found it again, it was closed for the Pongal Festival as many businesses are today. We didn't have conference today for the same reason.  So, I walked back to Gokulam and ran a few errands, stopped and drank a coconut, and headed home to bucket bathe and sit and write to you all before I practice guitar.  

I've washed my clothes in the bucket and need to hang them out to dry while the sun is still up and hot (it's 80 degrees, sunny, & blue skies everyday) and then i need to run up to the kitchen and put all the veggies and fruit I picked up today in the fridge.  

Tomorrow I have practice and then I need to go downtown to the city to pick up some things for the Balance teachers and at 6pm tomorrow evening I have an Ayurvedic consultation with the very well-known and well-respected Dr. Kumar. I am really looking forward to that.  I will also hit the organic market again for some organic whole grains, more veggies, and the like.  

I hope you all are staying warm and having wonderful practices... 
Sending love from India...

Stacy

1 comment:

  1. Stacy, reading through your days in Mysore gives me a moment to feel what a wonderful experience this is for you. I hope one day I can do just the same. Enjoy your time, practice and learnings...and Hooray for your chanting!!! (an equal hooray to Danielle for being such a wonderful teacher!)

    ReplyDelete