Tuesday 17 January 2012

The "Six Poisons" around the Heart (also referred to as the "Sad Urmis" ((6 legs of a spider))

Pattabhi Jois has often spoke about the "Six poisons" around the heart that ideally need to be removed in order for us to experience true liberation.  The great text Yoga Rahasya also talks about these 6 mental sufferings (Manasika) and refers to them as the 6 legs of a poisonous spider; each of them affecting the others. 

The Six Poisons: A vital aspect of internal purification that Pattabhi Jois teaches relates to the six poisons that surround the spiritual heart. In the yoga shastra it is said that God dwells in our heart in the form of light, but this light is covered by six poisons: kama, krodha, moha, lobha, matsarya, and mada. These are desire, anger, delusion, greed, envy and sloth. When yoga practice is sustained with great diligence and dedication over a long period of time, the heat generated from it burns away these poisons, and the light of our inner nature shines forth.


(This picture was actually taken on the beach at Lake Michigan when I went out to visit Katie this summer.. there are spectacular sun sets every night.)


Prapatti is a term which refers to "total surrender".  You could also say "Isvara Pranidana". There are 6 limbs (Sad Angu) according to the Yoga Rahasya that are necessary for Prapatti and they are: 

  • take actions favorable to God/higher force/nature
  • avoid things not pleasing to God/higher force/nature
  • sing songs (mantram) that please "   "
  • have a positive, faithful attitude and you will be protected
  • share all you have with the community
  • constantly throw yourself at the feet of the Guru. 
Kaya Vaca Manasa =  Do, Say, & Think all in one direction.... towards God/higher force

And lastly, according to the Yoga Rahasya, the 8 limbs of yoga (Ashta anga = 8 limbs) do the following:

YAMA - cleans all 5 bodies; anamaya, pranamaya, manomaya, vignanamaya, & anandamaya

NIYAMA - purifies the blood

ASANA -  cleans the muscles

PRANAYAMA - cleanse breath 

PRATYAHARA- cleans the senses 

DHARANA - cleanses the mind

DHYANA- cleanses the soul

SAMADHI -  vision of a higher force

If that's not enticement enough to start a yoga practice, I don't know what is?!  
Alright... check this out.. this is where I practice each day and exactly what it's like, except ONE BIG THING IS MISSING.... Guruji.  Although, I have to say, I feel his presence tremendously so let me rephrase... Guruji's physical is missing.. not his spirit. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97hfhtXJwo&feature=email  (thank you K.B.)



1 comment:

  1. Love reading Stacy, I know the feeling of imagining your teacher in the room while you practice, I do it every time I roll out my mat. So, no matter where I practice, my one teacher is always there, adjusting me, reminding me... Reading your blog has been great practice this week, and has nourished my asana practice as well (of course!) and wow, I have a lot more to do ;) Thinking of you in India, I can almost hear your solo chant...Namaste, Laura H.

    ReplyDelete